Golfing Magazine recently surveyed a number of American golfers whose travels frequently take them to Asia. While rounds in the U.S. have been stagnant this decade, golf is enjoying explosive growth across the entire Pacific Rim. Quality layouts abound, many of which are affiliated with top-notch resorts. Here’s a Top 10 list that’s sure to satisfy even the most discerning golfing palette.
1. Mission Hills Golf Club (Olazabal), Shenzhen, China – Host of the OMEGA Mission Hills World Cup through 2018, the Olazabal Course is the star of the resort’s 12 world-class layouts. The two-time Masters champion collaborated with Schmidt-Curley Design to seamlessly route the course through thickly forested, rolling terrain. More than 150 bunkers are featured as an homage to Olazabal’s mastery with the sand wedge; 26 alone on the signature par-5 15th.
2. Spring City Golf & Lake Resort (Lake), Kunming, China – Possesses a collection of beautiful holes, chief among them the downhill, par-3 8th that abuts the lake’s crystal clear waters.
3. Blue Canyon Golf & Country Club (Canyon), Phuket, Thailand – Skillfully carved through verdant jungle, it’s the site of one of Tiger Woods’ most memorable final round comebacks to win the 1998 Johnnie Walker Classic.
4. Kawana Hotel Golf Club (Fuji), Shizuoka, Japan – Mt. Fuji serves as an ever-present back drop on this C.H. Alison masterpiece built in 1936. Often called the “Pebble Beach of Japan.”
5. Mission Hills Golf Club (Faldo), Shenzhen, China – Mission Hills’ second course on the list evokes comparisons to TPC Sawgrass’ Stadium Course. Mounding and earthen amphitheatres are prevalent, and an island green par-3 lurks to make or break your round at the 16th hole.
6. Spring City Golf and Lake Resort (Mountain), Kunming, China
7. Nirwana Bali Golf Club, Bali, Indonesia
8. Chiangmai Highlands Golf & Spa Resort, Chiang Mai, Thailand
9. Saujana Golf & Country Club (Palm), Selangor, Malaysia –
10. Bintan Lagoon Golf & Beach Resort (Jack Nicklaus Sea View), Bintan, Indonesia
To Include Your Resort or Destination in an upcoming issue, please contact Terrie at 705-444-3300 or Terrie@GolfingMagazine.net